The Prime Minister, Theresa May, officially put the country on the maximum terror alert on Tuesday. Under her orders, the military is now working with police to ensure another terrorist attack doesn’t follow.
ISIS recently claimed the recent attack in Manchester on Monday that killed 22 people and injured over 50 people. The police continued their investigation into the matter, to make sure it wasn’t part of a larger conspiracy.
The police have already raided the suicide bomber’s home, Salman Abedi, on a mission to determine “whether Mr. Abedi was acting alone or as part of a network,” said Ian Hopkins, Chief of Police in Manchester.
He previously said that investigators believed that Abedi was a lone wolf with homemade explosives. Abedi reportedly lives a few miles away from the attack.
A neighbor of Abedi’s said: “We’ve been watching this kind of attack happen in Paris,” said a neighbor, Thomas Coull, 17. “We didn’t expect it to happen on our doorstep, literally.”
Another neighbour, Lina Ahmed, said the family “didn’t really speak to anyone. They were nice people if you walked past.”
Comments on the Investigation
Theresa May, after her meeting with security officials, said: “It is a possibility we cannot ignore that there is a wider group of individuals linked to this attack.” She also said that raising the terror alert not only means “an attack remains highly likely, but that a further attack may be imminent.”
In a Wednesday morning statement, Mark Rowley, the nation’s counter-terror policing unit director said: “The investigation into the terrorist attack in Manchester is large-scale, fast-moving and making good progress. There has been an arrest and there are currently multiple searches and other activity taking place as I speak.”
He continued: “However, at this stage it is still not possible to be certain if there was a wider group involved in the attack; 24 hours in we have a number of investigative leads that we are pursuing to manage the ongoing threat.”
On Tuesday, an anonymous senior US official said that Abedi took multiple trips to Libya, where his parents are from. However, they didn’t know when he took his last trip.
The government has also started identifying the victims of the attack. Among those who were killed were an 8-year-old girl and an 18-year-old college student.
The country will remain under the highest terror alert until further notice.