Gas Station Nacho Cheese Paralyzes Woman And Hospitalizes 9 Others

Authorities believe the cases of botulism can be linked to a particular gas station in California.

A Sacramento County woman ate some nacho cheese from a gas station, and has been hospitalized for almost a month as she contracted botulism- a severe illness from bacteria which could cause breathing difficulties, paralysis and even death.

la-me-ln-nacho-cheese-botulism-20170518

The Incident 

Lavinia Kelly, a mother of three and a Sacramento County woman has now been in hospital for almost a month after she contracted botulism from nacho cheese at a gas station. She was driving home from work on April 21st when she stopped by the gas station for a snack. According to her partner Ricky Torres, hours later, she felt tired.

The next day she reportedly had double vision, an unsteady gait and went to Sutter Medical Center, but was sent home. By April 23rd, she could barely breathe or speak. Torres rushed her back to Sutter Medical Center, and she was put on a ventilator and admitted to the intensive care unit.

“We just don’t understand why this happened over a bag of chips and nacho cheese,” Torres said. “Really? How does that happen?”

According to the Sacramento Bee, she is so ill that she had to spend her 33rd birthday this week in an intensive care unit, unable to speak or breathe without help.

Are There Others? 

According to Sacramento County health officials, they have now discovered that Kelly is one of at least 10 people who have contracted botulism from the nacho cheese at Valley Oak Food and Fuel in Walnut Grove, Sacramento.

According to a statement issued by the Sacramento Health County Health and Human Services Department, all who were diagnosed with botulism have been hospitalized.

Responses to the Incident 

On May 5th, County officials stopped the sale of prepared food at Valley Oak Food and Fuel. According to records, they have alleged negligence, strict product liability and breach of implied warranty.