Towards the end of the 19th century, many European artists created postcard drawings that predicted their ideas of what the future would hold. These postcards were then hidden inside cigarette packs and chocolate boxes.
Here are some fascinating illustrations from the series that attempted to imagine what life would look like today, drawn 100 years ago.
1. Unfortunately, farmers aren’t yet able to tend to their crops with a simple button and lever system.
2. Thankfully, the idea that we could communicate with our loved ones irregardless of location has become a reality.
3. When are we getting automatic moving sidewalks??
4. And we definitely need a system that can manipulate the weather and shoo storm clouds away.
5. Not sure how I should feel about headsets that channel knowledge into the minds of students…
6. When Uber eventually extends its service to aero-cars.
7. Barber shops in the future will definitely be cost-effective with this handy gadget.
8. Future wars will be fought in the skies with battleships attached to a gigantic blimp.
9. Police can look forward to their new crime-fighting equipment.
10. Because travelling underwater by whale-drawn buses is the dream.
11. Fancy a spot of croquet at the bottom of the sea?
12. Eels races are also going to be huge.
13. Feel like moving? Whole blocks of houses could be transported by freight trains.
14. This artist imagined fishing in a whole new way.
15. I can’t wait for the day that these airships become an everyday form of transportation.
16. From sea to land in an instant.
17. With the help of individual balloons, people can walk on water.
18. This is pretty genius; a roof that can protect the entire city from storms.
19. Or, if a roof is too hard to build, our firefighters can wear these suits to fight the elements.
20. This maid shouldn’t look too happy; if automatic cleaning devices become real, she could be out of work.