These old black and white photos prove that the olden days could be pretty dark. Check out these stories and be thankful to be alive in 2017!
1. This medieval-looking room was known as an “Iron Lung Ward”.
It was used to treat children who were suffering from polio.
2. These horrifying figures are damaged and burned mannequins, victims of a 1930 fire, at Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum.
3. This is a shot from F.W. Murnau’s epic masterpiece Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror.
Even though it was a silent film, Nosferatu still manages to scare the living daylights of people who saw it.
4. Nothing spooky about two women with bird heads chatting with each other!
5. Want to see what Hell most likely looks like? Well, this is Hell’s Cafe in Paris, France.
6. Halloween costumes were really authentic back in those days.
7. No, this isn’t some inhumane science experiment on a human. It’s actually a Disney animatronic that is being repaired by the engineers there.
8. A mickey mouse gas mask!
9. Imagine being this lovely family’s neighbors.
10. Myrtle Corbin was born in 1868 with an extra pelvis.
She went on to become a circus attraction!
11. A Santa and his clown friends are supposedly trying to ‘cheer up’ this little girl in the hospital bed.
12. This would have been very scary to find!
13. This photo may seem normal, but it’s far from that. The woman in the middle is the daughter of the people flanking her. She’s actually a dead body that was propped up for the picture.
14. US troops wearing Brewster body armor in 1917.
15. This picture depicts the true love of this mentally admitted woman and her rendition of the ‘perfect man’.
16. This pumpkin-head looking contraption was used to cancel out all sound. It also cancelled all social interaction.
17. “Trick or treat!”
18. For all those who believe in Santa, believe in this!