You can’t argue with the fact that ‘The Sound of Music’ is one of the biggest musicals of all time. Julie Andrews’ incredible voice and performance has gone down in history, and the film’s story has warmed the hearts of countless viewers. But did you know some of these fascinating facts about the 1965 classic?
1. Maria’s dress was a whopping 14 feet long, as well as being totally gorgeous!
2. Christopher Plummer actually didn’t enjoy working on the film and especially hated working alongside Julie Andrews. Apparently, she was just too positive and bubbly for him to cope with. He even referred to the film as ‘The Sound of Mucus’ and ‘S&M’.
3. “Edelweiss” was written specifically for the film and went on to become a huge hit.
4. Nicholas Hammond had a huge crush on Julie Andrews. During the film, you can even see him gazing at her like a love-struck schoolboy.
5. Julie Andrews wasn’t sure about taking on the role because she was worried about being typecast. The character of Maria Von Trapp seemed too similar to her previous role as Mary Poppins. Luckily, she changed her mind!
6. Christopher Plummer visited Salzburg to meet with the real-life Captain’s nephew in order to learn more about the character. The nephew revealed that his uncle was an incredibly boring man.
7. Julie Andrews would sing her famous “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” song to keep the kids entertained on set. She’s a real-life Mary Poppins!
8. Christopher Plummer was drunk during the scene with the music festival.
9. Kym Karath, who played Gretl, nearly drowned during the scene with the family in the boat. She couldn’t swim and Julie was supposed to rescue her, but things didn’t go quite to plan.
10. In the film, when Maria is singing “I Have Confidence”, she trips and nearly falls over. This was actually an accident, but the director decided to leave it in.
11. While filming the scene where Maria and the Captain kiss in the gazebo, Julie kept laughing because of the sound of one of the lighting devices nearby. It took over twenty takes to get the scene right.
12. Charmian Carr actually suffered a bad injury during the filming of “Sixteen Going On Seventeen”. She hurt her ankle, which had to be bandaged up and covered with makeup for the rest of the film.
13. Debbie Turner, who played Marta, lost a bunch of teeth during filming, so she had to wear fake ones.
14. Charmian Carr had a big crush on Christopher Plummer during filming. Plummer later revealed that the feeling was mutual, but they never did more than flirt.
15. Julie had to learn how to play the guitar for her role.
16. The movie actually saved 20th Century Fox from bankruptcy. The world of films would be very different if it had never existed.
17. Christopher sang and played guitar during the film, but everything got dubbed over.
18. Julie’s favorite song from the film? “Edelweiss”.
SHARE this article around with your friends and family!