We all know and adore the creepy and enigmatic Wednesday Addams, right? However, the real enigma is actually the actress behind the iconic role, Christina Ricci. It is almost criminal how underrated she is. It’s a thing of beauty how she can take on the most outlandish and eery roles and OWN them. Wanna find out more about this gifted star? Read on and enrich your Ricci-pedia…
1. She loves getting inked, and eight tattoos currently adorn her body!
Her shoulder blade tattoo features a Lion in honor of her favorite novel “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.” There’s an Edward Gorey art on her right wrist. The phrase “Move or Bleed” is etched on her rib cage, amongst many others.
2. She says that she still has to audition for roles in film and TV, and has no control over her career.
This is frankly quite upsetting, considering her past roles.
3. She was born on the 12th of February, 1980, in Santa Monica, California.
She is the youngest of four siblings, and daughter to Sarah Murdoch, a real estate agent, and Ralph Ricci, a group therapist.
4. 1999 was a big year for her.
She starred alongside Casey Affleck and Kate Hudson in indie film 200 Cigarettes and Desert Blue. And then she starred opposite Johnny Depp in the popular and celebrated Tim Burton classic Sleepy Hollow.
5. She feels she’s too short to ever be an A-list actress.
She said her “petite frame” of 5’1” looked too small in the camera.
6. She was discovered as an eight year old in a School Play.
Apparently she was quite the innovative and clever child. Another boy was originally supposed to play her part, but then she tricked him into hitting her, then tattled on him, thus landing the part.
7. She was briefly engaged to her All’s Faire in Love co-star Owen Benjamin.
They got engaged in the March of 2009, and ended the engagement by June.
8. She co-starred with Charlize Theron in the phenomenal Monster.
In her Golden Globe acceptance speech, Theron called Christina “the unsung hero” of the film.
9. She was just 10 when she made her film debut with Mermaids, alongside Cher and Winona Ryder.
Three iconic and powerful women packed into a single movie. Need I say more?
10. The year after Mermaids, she landed the role of a lifetime.
She is the very embodiment of Wednesday Addams.
11. Christina became a Mother in August 2014.
It was a boy! They named him Freddie.
12. She swore off fur after receiving a harsh letter from PETA who featured her in their worst-dressed list.
This 2006 W Magazine Cover was the one which riled PETA into action.
13. She featured in her first adult role in the ’97 drama The Ice Storm. She was 17 at the time.
She starred opposite Sigourney Weaver and Tobey Maguire and the movie received rave reviews! And yet not many people know of it.
14. She got married to James Heerdegen on the 26th of October, 2013.
They met on the set of the 2011 series Pan Am. He was the dolly grip i.e., the guy who handles the camera dolly.
15. She starred in the 2014 biographic drama Lizzie Borden Took an Ax.
She later reprised the role for the television series The Lizzie Borden Chronicles.
COMMENT below and SHARE if you feel a touch nostalgic about Ricci!