There’s no real specification on what is perfect, perfection can be whatever you want it to be. That point couldn’t be more true about plus-sized model Ashley Graham. Here are some fun facts you might not have known about her!
1. She gives talks at elementary schools to spread her idea on body image and also plays a part in humanitarian missions taken out in South Africa.
2. Forbes had her featured on their ’30 Under 30′ list. This list celebrates the best up-and-coming entrepreneurs and change-makers.
3. She was the first plus-sized model to ever be on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
“This cover is for every woman who ever felt like she wasn’t beautiful enough.”
4. She’s still not used to the fame, and acts like a “fangirl” every time she has a meeting with celebrities. Here she is with Karlie Kloss.
5. She played a huge part in the founding of ALDA, an organisation that is made up of models who represent “beauty beyond size.” The organization fights the perspective that the fashion industry currently has on models and how they should look.
6. She was first discovered by the I & I modelling agency when she was 12 at a shopping mall in Lincoln, Nebraska.
7. She’s not short either! She is 5’9″ tall.
8. She held a TED talk back in 2015 to discuss body acceptance. She called the talk “Plus-Size? More Like My Size.”
9. Her website’s motto is “Stand up for curves. Confidence is sexy.” She certainly agrees with that statement and is a size 16 herself.
10. She has her own lingerie line designed specifically for plus-sized ladies, which can be found at online store, Navabi.
11. She got bullied as a kid for being dyslexic.
“Being told in the fourth grade that you’re dyslexic and you’re not going to be able to read properly takes a toll on you, and it really makes you believe you’re dumb.”
12. She’s completely in love with Beyonce’s butt.
She said that “Formation” is one of her favorite songs.
13. Her Lane Bryant body positive commercial was rejected by multiple TV stations like NBC and ABC. The commercial featured Graham and other models nude, and one of the models is breastfeeding.
The commercial includes Graham and many other models naked, with one model breastfeeding her child. She also has a kickboxing scene while dressed in Lane Bryant denim clothing.
14. She’s modelled for famous companies like Levi’s, Simply Be and Evans.
15. She got married to her husband Justin Ervin in 2010, with the couple having only known each other for a year.
So let us know what you think of Ashley Graham and remember to SHARE with your friends and family!