Many people complain that they never use the vast majority of the things they learned in school!
But few would argue that going to school isn’t important or that securing a good education isn’t one way to get ahead in the world.
They might however, put forward a case, that while diplomas and degrees have their place, the school of life has a way of teaching some valuable and indispensable knowledge!
Even if these facts don’t improve the quality of your life, you never know you might feel inspired to appear on a trivia tv show one day.
So here are 13 facts from ‘Did You Know’, that you were never taught in school, but you might want to know just in case it’s the last question on ‘Who wants to be a millionaire?’ and you are the contestant!
1. Iceland’s Christmas tradition has one terrifying addition: the Yule Cat!
The Yule Cat makes the lives of poor children that much worse at Christmas. The legend goes that they steal food and holiday treats from children who don’t get new clothes for Christmas!
2. At the end of the movie ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,’ two unidentified footprints are shown at the edge of the ‘Marauder’s Map.’
The pair is clearly getting busy but the magical GPS never lets viewers know who the feet belong to!
3. A tiny Russian church holds a Guinness World Record for being the only church on an island so small!
Only accessible by boat, the Church of Andrew the Apostle, was built in 2000 by Andrew Rotinov and hosts services for people from the nearby village of Vasilevo.
4. When this candle melts it reveals a porcelain dinosaur!
More and more of the tiny velociraptor can be seen as the wax melts away!
5. Artist David Irvine uses thrift store paintings to create new settings for characters like Darth Vader.
His work has included other characters from pop culture including the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man and Batman.
6. On November 24, 2015, if you typed in ‘A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away,’ into Google’s search engine, the result was made out of the dreams of Star Wars’ fans!
It had to be the exact phrase to work.
7. According to researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy in Berlin, the Milky way might taste like raspberries and smell like rum!
While they were looking for evidence of amino acids in space, the found ethyl formate instead!
8. A study into couples who smoked marijuana together concluded that they have lower incidences of domestic violence than other couples.
The group of researchers, who studied 634 couples, concluded that people who are in an altered state from smoking marijuana simply have no desire to fight!
9. It took 3 years to animate the hair of the character Merida, from the cartoon Brave.
it took two months just for the scene where she removes her hood to reveal a full head of curly hair. The animators even developed special software so that her hair would move naturally with the rest of her body!
10. The human attraction to glitter comes from our need for water!
Researchers from Belgium and the US say shiny objects catch our eyes for primitive rather than aesthetic reasons. Essentially, because water is more important to us than diamonds!