Katy Perry has always been one of those celebrities that somehow manages to amaze us time and time again. From starting off as a Christian singer and then going on to marry, but later divorce, controversial comedian Russell Brand, to crazy decisions like dropping out of school and becoming one of the top songwriters we’ve ever seen, she always seems to have something up her sleeve!
She recently made a reference to a song of hers, “I Kissed A Girl”, after receiving the Human Rights Campaign National Equality Award, saying that she “did more” than just that.
“How was I going to reconcile that with a gospel-singing girl raised in youth groups that were pro-conversion camps? What I did know is that I was curious, and even then I knew sexuality wasn’t as black and white as this dress. And, honestly, I haven’t always gotten it right, but in 2008, when that song came out, I knew that I started a conversation that a lot of the world seemed curious enough to sing along, too.”
So, below is a list of the many ways Katy Perry has continued to grab our attention! If you enjoy it, don’t forget to SHARE it on Facebook with every Katy Perry-lover out there!
1. Her real name is actually Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson. But she altered it in 2001 after launching her pop career as she was afraid she’ll get confused with Kate Hudson, the actress.
2. She and singer Rihanna are great friends and have been for a really long time. She’s even said that one day they’ll make the “best song ever” together.
3. Back in 2001, she announced her very first gospel album, named Katy Hudson. With the lead song from the album called, “Trust In Me.” She said, “I was feeling a little depressed at the time, and was thinking about all the things I’d done wrong, I started writing about this and God placed a peace in my heart. I really felt He was saying, ‘Don’t worry child, trust in me.'”
4. Her upbringing was very strict with her parents being Pentecostal Christian pastors. They wouldn’t allow her to read the Harry Potter books or watch The Smurfs on TV. She sang in her church’s choir and was never allowed to listen to what her parents believed to be secular music.
5. Her go-to cure for hangovers is a burger from In-N-Out and to drink loads of Sprite. Another trick of hers is to meditate and sleep “the whole day away.”
6. Katy assisted her older sister during her water birth that was set up in the living room of a friend. She has the whole delivery filmed on her phone.
7. Back when she was just 15, she would take trips out to Nashville to record gospel songs. This is where she was taught and practiced her talent of being able to sing and play the guitar.
8. Her cat is named Kitty Purry and has its very own blog! It was even nominated for a Teen Choice award in 2009 for the Choice Celebrity Pet category. She, however, lost to Bo, Obama’s dog.
9. She has a rather weird talent of being able to copy a frog identically. Something she learned to do while taking vocal lessons.
10. She left high school back when she was 15 years old and has said that she really regrets it. She said, “I’m kind of bummed at this stage that I didn’t have a great education because I could really use that these days.”
11. She found out that her husband at the time, Russell Brand, was filing for divorce by text.
12. The internet went crazy when pictures emerged of Perry and her ex-boyfriend, Orlando Bloom, thinking it was the best idea to strip down and go paddle boarding together.
What will she do next!? We can only wait and see!