‘What’s Eating Gilbert Grape’ is an all-time classic film, starring Johnny Depp, Darlene Cates, Juliette Lewis and a young Leonardo DiCaprio. Here are some interesting things you might not know about this amazing movie.
1. Johnny once paid Leo $500 to sniff a rancid pickle as a bet during filming.
2. Depp landed the role for his incredible ability to demonstrate emotions without speaking.
3. Just like in the film, Cates had been a recluse in real life, staying at home for five whole years.
4. Leo wasn’t supposed to kill the grasshopper, and the move angered many animal rights groups.
5. This is actually the only movie Darlene Cates ever acted in.
6. The photo we see of a young Momma is actually a real photo of young Darlene Cates.
7. Leo says that Arnie was one of the most fun roles he’s ever had.
8. Momma didn’t actually climb the stairs. They filmed Cates climbing a short section and then looped the footage.
9. The name of Cates’ charater is Bonnie, but she gets credited as ‘Momma’ because she only talks to her kids.
10. The interior of the family home is the same set used for the film ‘The Roadie’.
11. Leo actually spent time with mentally-handicapped kids to prepare for the role.